THE SHOREline VISION: To develop a network of youth who help themselves, their families, their schools, their communities, and youth in other communities recover from disaster.
THE MISSION: (1) To establish and sustain a network of disaster-affected youth who build powerful connections with other youth and with adult leaders and innovators; (2) To develop skills, foster hope, and capitalize on opportunities to help disaster-affected youth and their communities recover from the loss and disruption caused by extreme events such as hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, and oil spills.
WHY WE CREATED SHOREline: Research on the impacts of disasters on children and youth suggest three persistent themes:
- First, the children and youth of the Gulf Coast have been exposed to more disasters over the past decade than any other group of young people in the United States.
- Second, that exposure to multiple disasters and other chronic stressors has led to an accumulation of mental and physical health issues and educational and social challenges.
- Third, although they are among the most affected in disasters, children and youth are often excluded from the decisions and actions that can influence their health and recovery.
- LEARN what it takes for youth and their communities to recover from a disaster.
- BUILD the tools and resources to help other youth and communities recover from a disaster.
- CREATE a youth action network that can be activated when disaster strikes, in order to help and support youth in other communities. The types of assistance that SHOREline youth might provide could include (as illustrations, since each chapter will develop its own projects):
- Mobilizing communication and information platforms, built around social media and internet technologies;
- Developing the means and methods for mobilizing and distributing resources;
- Supporting the emotional needs of disaster-affected youth by providing connections and sharing stories of disaster resilience; and
- Serving as a voice for disaster-affected youth through creating a space for youth advocacy.
Students who are selected to participate in this exciting project will have the opportunity to acquire a broad range of skills and experiences.