The ComEd team and NCDP are analyzing vulnerabilities pertaining to utility resilience and policies and have been actively developing and writing about these topics through this thought leadership initiative. Below is a collection of published writings organized by topic area. Please check this page for regular updates.
In the context of disasters, resilience is the ability to bounce back quickly and completely. Where the energy sector is concerned, energy resilience is an important component of overall community and economic resilience. This topic area explores the ways in which the energy sector and disaster/climate resilience are intertwined.
- In Puerto Rico, a glimpse of the future of resilient energy – The Hill, May 8, 2020, Schlegelmilch, J., Bahramirad, S.
- The role of utilities in building resilience [Audio podcast] Episode 22 – Disaster Politics Podcast, April 17, 2020, Schlegelmilch, J. (Producer), Bahramirad, S.
The novel coronavirus pandemic created ubiquitous new challenges, including within operational continuity for the energy sector. This topic area explores the novel approaches utilized by the NCDP and ComEd partnership in order to predict and maintain workforce stability for an essential electric utility.
- Current Data Gaps in Modelling Essential Worker Absenteeism due to COVID-19 – Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness, September 10, 2020, White, Z., Schlegelmilch, J., Ratner, J., Saxena, G., Wongsodirdjo, K., Aguilar, S., Kushner, D., Matevosyan, N., Ortega, J., Paaso, A., Bahramirad, S.
The centralized electric grid is one of the 20th century’s greatest accomplishments. Yet now, in a rapidly changing world of technological advancements and societal evolution, the centralized grid presents challenges and vulnerabilities to our ways of life and work. This topic area explores microgrids and other energy innovations for a resilient grid of the future.
- Looking back won’t tell us everything we need to know about grid vulnerability – The Hill Opinion, November 4, 2020, Schlegelmilch, J., Ratner, J., Bahramirad, S., Paaso, A.
- Lives on the line: The big benefits of microgrids in disaster – Smart Energy International, March 31, 2020, Schlegelmilch, J., Ratner, J., Bahramirad, S., Paaso, A.
In addition to written work, the ComEd and NCDP teams present this thought leadership nationwide at conferences and other meetings.
- Effect of COVID-19 in transportations: Discussion on the impacts, the usefulness of data dashboards and lesson learned, Panel 3 – IEEE International Smart Cities Conference, September 29, 2020, Paaso, A., Schlegelmilch, J.
- Rebuilding for social justice: Sustainable futures and nature-based solutions – 2020 Natural Hazards Research and Applications Workshop, July 14, 2020, Paaso, A.