On January 20, 2020, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Preparedness (CDC) confirmed the first United States case of COVID-19, the disease caused by SARS-CoV-2, in Snohomish County, Washington. In only three short months, cases of COVID19 have been reported across all fifty U.S. states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and US Virgin Islands, ballooning to over 1.26 million confirmed cases with an unprecedented seventy-five thousand lives already lost.
During this time of uncertainty, the National Center for Disaster Preparedness (NCDP) is focused on ensuring a rapid, evidence-based response to the COVID-19 outbreak, while also working to protect the physical and mental well-being of those that are most vulnerable.
This microsite is designed to support and promote the dissemination of factual, evidence-based, up-to-date stories and information from the NCDP team, other Columbia faculty, and the CDC in order to combat widespread misinformation and confusion and to provide thought leadership and best practices for a variety of audiences.
Some of our resources include:
- An Economic Resource guide was created to assist a wide variety of audiences in navigating financial concerns during COVID-19. [Updated 1/26/2021]
- The RCRC Initiative has launched a set of community-voice led and data-driven interactive Issue Briefs which highlight key areas for policy and advocacy around the the needs of children after disasters with special attention to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- “130,000 – 210,000 Avoidable COVID-19 Deaths – And Counting In The U.S.”
- Is it safe to send my child to school? An advisory for policymakers, educators, and parents.
- Town Hall: Is it okay to send my child to school during Covid-19?
- Dr. Redlener and Dr. Fair release “A Guide for Restoring the Economy that Matters Most to Americans“. Download the press release and report, and Dr. Redlener’s letter to US senators, representatives, and state governors..
- “Children and Coronavirus: A Guide for Families and Providers.” Access the tool in English and Spanish.
- “Children of Puerto Rico and COVID-19: At the Crossroads of Poverty and Disaster” A weekly webinar series focused on the impacts of COVID-19 and the children of Puerto Rico.
- A comprehensive COOP plan template, worksheets, and tools are available in English and Spanish.
- “Crisis leadership for a pandemic.” A two-page guide with clear guiding principles for leaders during this time.